[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Anderson, Steven SAnderso at pacificaccess.com.au
Fri Apr 19 11:38:40 EST 2002

If you don't want to read a bit of rant delete now!

I would have to say I wasn't happy with the way we went about "dropping"
AWA, but after reading that interview I think it was the right way to go.

The way I see it, the cost up front (including equipment) would scare away
most normal private users. i.e. Family
Especially when you can get broadband for less up front.  (I know you then
have ongoing fees for broadband, but you also have the internet)

If you scare away normal users in the first place, how do you get enough
"Community" content on the wireless network to interest new users to
connect.
That leaves business users and techies.

Why would a techie want to pay for what they can do for nothing (other than
equipment costs)?
Why would a business connect if there are no normal users?

Good luck if AWA can make their model work, but the people I have spoken to
(non techies) about this are interested in Wireless for two reasons.
It is cheap and has no ongoing fees - (and you don't need to pay an ISP
and/or Telco)
Ability to get/share community information, chat etc etc and again not have
to pay to get this via their ISP and/or Telco.

Steven