[MLB-WIRELESS] Membership fees etc. - was Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Fri Apr 19 11:35:06 EST 2002

Hi all,
FWIW, I can actually see the arguement of the sydney group.  when is
free truely free? at what point does a volunteer group grow too big to
be run on a voluntee only basis?

OK, so free and not-for-profit are not the same thing.

we have just set up (at least potentially) as a NFP org, right?
so why are we doing that?
are we going to require all people who access melb wireless to abide by
usage rules?
enforcement?
contract?
this implies that non-members (what ever that means) are excluded.
even if melbwireless owns none of the infrastructure (which I doubt will
be totally true - eg. the web server...)
the club still has admin and accounting costs.... and so on
at what point do we cross over form being private owners of hardware and
into the area of being a public access network.

ofcourse, like one notion before me, I have no answers to these
questions....

mind you, $100 might seem a little steep and I could understand that as
a criticism, unless there is some hardware or similar issues we cannot
see from here.

On 04/19/02 09:52 AM, lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:

>Drew wrote:
>
>>fee "to ensure stability in the network and to cover the cost of
>>
>maintenance
>
>>and upgrading.""
>>

>I probably wont be the last person to say "wtf?". Are they providing
>customers with access SLA's? (service level agreements)
>Then again, Telstra charge big bucks for clients to access their cable and
>adsl networks and don't have SLA's (to end users).
>
>If they are charging money for access to their network  then isn't this go
>against the whole"non-profit" 2.4ghz usage agreement?
>
>Lucas

Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC
goofey:bulwynkl