[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: Re: multi-card setup]

Andrew Harcourt gfg687472609 at geckomail.org
Thu Apr 18 17:00:56 EST 2002

Drew> think this is the best idea i've heard this week.... so
Drew> taking this to the extreme... in theory, with 3
Drew> non-overlapping channels (1,6,11), you could have
Drew> 66mb/s using 6 cards and 3 antenna.

If I were going to spend that much on it, I'd be much happier about buying a
proprietary implementation of 802.11a that will do 100Mbps half-duplex (some
vendor, I can't remember which, made some proprietary tweaks to the 802.11a
standard so that their gear talks at 100Mbps, but only when you have their
gear at both ends of the link).

For what it's worth, unless the 802.11a cards are well over 3x as expensive
as 802.11b cards, you could do pretty much the same with two cards and two
antennae.

If you wanted to be extreme about it of course, you could just run two sets
in parallel, and run each as a one-way channel, thus avoiding the problems
of collisions between data and ack packets over each link - that way you'd
get the full 100Mbps bandwidth in both directions, without suffering
performance-wise when the loading got too heavy, as opposed to normal 802.3,
802.11blah which start to seriously struggle after about 70% utilisation and
fall over after about 90%.

Just my $0.02 :)

Regards,
Andrew