[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Thu Apr 18 16:40:33 EST 2002

Our friends in Sydney.
- Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: New Telecoms-AU <listsupport at internet.com>
To: bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au <bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au>
Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 11:57 PM
Subject: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

>  New Telecoms  April 17, 2002
>
>Oracle Australia »    Compaq and Oracle invite you to attend a FREE
hands-on workshop

>                        The Fastlane networking event comes to Melbourne on
May 1, featuring Paul Bassat, CEO of Seek Communications

>            Public Wireless Networks Fight Back
>            Craig Liddell - australia.internet.com
>

>            Following increased restrictive and cost-cutting behaviour by
the major telcos, users are setting up their own public access wireless
networks.

>            Duane Groth of Australian Wireless Association summarises the
sentiments of many frustrated punters. He and a bunch of eight friends
established the organisation when faced with restrictions such as Optus'
upload limit cap limited the ability to share files with a friend "only two
kilometres away."

>            "The WAN network would allow users to share large amounts of
data with other users without having to worry about huge excess data charges
that the telco's would charge for the same data."

>            After the association was mentioned on slashdot.org,
expressions of interest "ballooned from 50 to 350 in a couple of days."
Around 100 000 people visited the site in those two days.

>            Such networks operate in the 2.4GHz spectrum range which is
available free given the network is not-for-profit. Hardware used is 802.11b
compliant radio networking equipment.

>            Essentially, a user requires an 802.11 card, antenna and a
position that provides line of sight (LOS) to a WPOP.

>            Due to legal issues, the sharing of the Internet on the 2.4GHz
Spectrum is illegal in Australia but common use of the wireless local area
network (WLAN) include games, FTPs, web servers, VOIP phone calls, video
conferencing and the like. There are other exemptions, such as close
relationship rules, for companies suppling Internet and LAN to employees.

>            Costs have dropped dramatically, according to Peter Mann,
co-founder of Sydney Wireless Access Group (SWAG).

>            Four of five years ago when Mann and a group of friends first
explored the idea, "we enquired about equipment and found it to be around
$20 000, way out of the budget of a bunch of students!"

>            Last November, Mann "decided to give the idea another shot now
that equipment was readily available. SWAG and Sydney Wireless joined forces
to form Australian Wireless Association.

>            "Other than the $100 joining fee," Mann continues, "there is
the cost of equipment. Users purchase their own hardware to connect to the
network. Generally speaking, you are looking at around $150 for a wireless
card and some antenna cable. The antennas themselves range from the home
made to old galaxy dishes and professional antennas (if you have money to
spend)."

>            At this stage, the biggest challenge for Australian Wireless
Association is public liability insurance. But Groth is seeking sponsorship
as one alternative revenue stream and costs are limited with "very low
overheads and no labour or ongoing costs."

>            The organisation got "a really good deal" on PCMA cards at $50
each but antenna and cabling is unique to each situation based on line of
sight. That's due to the very low output, restricted by "law and health
reasons."

>            By contrast to the 4 watts output allowed in Australia, the
United States maximum is 150 watts, according to Groth. Other restrictions
include net access but it's a "grey area." Although non-profit organisations
should be exempt in theory, he says until it goes to court definitions will
be vague and nobody wants to "be a martyr."

>            "Technically, due to Australian Communications Authority (ACA)
regulations, carriage of Internet services over this type of technology is
not allowed, however this isn't to say that donated links from ISP's won't
be accepted," the organisation says. "Nothing has happened to a Perth group
currently linked into WAIX, very grey area no one has an exact answer short
of a court case setting precedence will solve."

>            Australian Wireless Association members are also charged a
once-off fee of $100 for membership to the network and initial setup costs,
"which range from $400 to $700." Members are also charged a small per-annum
fee "to ensure stability in the network and to cover the cost of maintenance
and upgrading."

>            One company set to benefit from the growth of public wireless
networks is Victoria-based Xnet Wireless. Founder and co-owner, Paul Young
explains, "we were an ISP but decided the future in dial-up was becoming
less attractive so we figured wireless was the next stage in the evolution
of the Internet. We wanted to promote the use of licence free wireless
networks and supply the equipment."

>            The company maintains a database of interested parties with the
"idea being that people can search for others in their area with the
intention of linking together to form a network."

>            "At this stage, says Young, "these networks are being built
mainly by hobbyists so there is no standard of service as such. Its just
people getting together and forming a network across a city or suburb with
no ongoing costs."

>            Mann echoes the comments. "Since we are a experimental network
we won't provide any guarantees on the network quality, and we won't be
providing Internet access as someone somewhere will have to pay for it. This
is purely a experimental network for enthusiasts to learn on and build."

>            However, WLAN enthusiasts may soon face tighter restrictions as
the Federal Government has recently jumped on the 802.11 bandwagon,
announcing an inquiry into the service.

>            A House of Representatives Standing Committee will explore "the
current and potential use of wireless technologies (including wireless LAN,
Bluetooth, LMDS and Wireless Local Loop) to provide broadband communications
in Australia."

>            NOTE: The panel at our next BreakfastForum in Sydney on May
10th will explore the opportunity for wireless ISPs and 802.11 technology in
more depth. If you would like to register for this free event go to
http://australia.internet.com/breakfast

>            RELATED READING:
>
>            The Wireless LAN (802.11) smoke-screen
>
>            Broadband ISP: Wireless And Without Telstra
>
>            Are Renegade Wireless LANs Commercially Destructive?
>

>            » View this online with the community's commentary or add your
comment.

>                        Plugging Wi-Fi Security Gaps: A Briefing from
802.11-Planet.com
>                        This critical industry briefing provides all the
essentials
>                        that professionals need to understand the security
issues
>                        surrounding Wi-Fi related services. Topics:
protecting wireless
>                        networks, how to implement security, and the key
challenges
>                        faced by those installing systems. Also included: a
>                        comprehensive glossary and Wi-Fi security company
directory.
>                        http://www.intmediaresearch.com
>

>            Interested in placing your TEXT AD HERE? Click Here

>            Rethinking the WiFi Hotspot Business Model
>            Gerry Blackwell
>            Here is a case where the hospitality industry is making WiFi
work - with quite a different business model.
>            » View this online with the community's commentary or add your
comment.

>            Telcos Have Philosophical Barriers To IP Networks
>            Craig Liddell - australia.internet.com
>            Devices that have dual interoperatability with ATM and IP are
key to the uptake of the latter.
>            » View this online with the community's commentary or add your
comment.

>            UNSW Becomes Part of HP-Backed Linux Foundation
>            Craig Liddell - australia.internet.com
>            Computer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard (HP) has financially
backed a new Linux organisation aimed at promoting the open source operating
system for scientific research.
>            » View this online with the community's commentary or add your
comment.

>            australia.internet.com
>                        E-NEWSLETTERS
>                                Editorial
>                                Dot.Au
>                                The Media Beagle
>                                Marketing
>                                e-Media Marketer
>                                Enterprise Watch
>                                Finance
>                                Tech Finance
>                                Telecommunications
>                                New Telecoms
>                                Leadership
>                                Knowledge Workers
>
>                                HTML Text
>

>                                Descriptions | Privacy Policy
>

>            Commerce Partners
>
>                                a.. 14 days free online media tracking
>                                b.. Search Engine Marketing Conference
>                                c.. Financial Data
>                                d.. Market Research
>                                e.. Send A Press Release
>                                f.. Opt-in Email Announcements
>                                g.. Wireless Breakfastforum
>                                h.. Melbourne Networking Events
>                                i.. internet.com Member Benefits
>                                Partner with us!
>

>  Sections: Home | News | Marketing | Leadership | VC | Technology | Events
>              Services: Login | Signup | Search | Memberships | Newsletters
| Sitemap
>              australia.internet.com: About | Meet The Team | Contact Us |
Give Feedback
>              Global: internet.com | Asia | Germany | Japan | Korea |
Turkey

>Copyright 2002 INT Media Group, Inc | Legal Notices | Privacy Policy
>
>click to unsubscribe
>
>Outsource Your Email Newsletter For As Low As $19.99/mo with Free
>Setup! SparkLIST offers self service managed email list hosting,
>with live human support or without depending on your preference!
>Free Quote: Click Here
>http://SparkLIST.com/intm/

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and
permanently delete the document.