[MLB-WIRELESS] state of the (wireless) union, 16/4/2002 @ 4am

Drew drew at wireless.org.au
Tue Apr 16 04:09:59 EST 2002

  As we quietly passed the 500th node milestone a couple days ago, I
thought it would be a good time to put some figures together to see how
we're progressing as a network. I've been very impressed with the recent
events, with melbourne getting 300+ enterasys cards in one bulk buy, not
to mention the 2 orinoco bulk buys that have passed, and lots of people
stepping forward to organize those, as well as a lot stepping forward
and starting and/or joining working groups. We now have the processes in
place to create a little bit of structure, and we have also got the
website on a 100mb pipe now. All is going quite well it seems, but how
do we compare to other groups in Australia? In the spirit of *friendly*
competition, here are some node stats, gathered as of 15-20 minutes ago.
As you can see, we're doing quite well in the percentage of people being
active, but we could do more to get those testing and building
operational, and a few dozen more nodes wouldn't hurt either.

ACTIVE *
melbourne 117
brisbane 105
perth 87
sydney 62

OPERATIONAL
brisbane 44
perth 44
melbourne 34
sydney 20

TESTING
melbourne 48
brisbane 37
sydney 26
perth 21

BUILDING
melbourne 35
brisbane 24
perth 22
sydney 16

TOTAL
brisbane 583
sydney 554
melbourne 504
perth 347

PERCENT ACTIVE **
perth 25%
melbourne 23%
brisbane 18%
sydney 11%

* defined as operational, building or testing
** active / total