[MLB-WIRELESS] 12yr olds with *nix and wireless..

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Sat Apr 13 04:58:28 EST 2002

The state of Maine is deploying 36,000 Unix-based (Mac OS X) and
wireless equipped laptops to eleven- and twelve-year olds.  I bet we
see some interesting
alternative uses come out of that.

http://www.state.me.us/mlte/

Maine's Learning Technology Initiative is the most
         ambitious program of its kind in the world, aiming to make
         Maine the first in the nation to deploy universal personal
         access to learning technology for all seventh and eighth
         grade students and teachers statewide. In December 2001,
         the Department signed a four-year, $37.2 million contract
         with Apple to provide notebook computers, wireless
         networks, servers, technical support and maintenance, and
         teacher training for 36,000 7th and 8th grade students
         and teachers in Maine. The remaining 230 middle schools in
         the state will receive wireless iBooks in August 2002.
--
  Yahoo has decided to charge $30 US pa for mail forwarding.
                     clae at tpg.com.au
   Please change your address book entry if you have one
   I will still check my yahoo account from time to time.
                           Clae