[MLB-WIRELESS] IP Addressing

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Tue Apr 9 18:33:17 EST 2002

arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au (David Arnold) writes:

> -->"Simon" == Simon J Mudd <sjmudd at pobox.com> writes:
>
>   Simon> In madrid we're using 10.64.0.0 for clients and 172.16.64.0
>   Simon> for internode links.
>
> i've registered 10.10.0.0/16 for Melbourne, in the expectation that we
> will use that.  if we change our mind, i'll remove the registration.
>
> i didn't register a sub-range of 172.16/12 (is it /12 ?) since i
> hadn't seen any concensus on how much we should claim, or where it
> should be.
>
> anyone want to make a guess at how many addresses we want?
>
> Madrid has gone for a /20, giving ~4000 addresses for WAN interfaces.
> are people happy with that?  (bearing in mind that there are only 256
> /20's in the 172.16/12 to share ...)

The worst thing about all of this is:
1. we don't _really_ know how many addresses will be needed
2. If things pick up there won't be enough addresses to go round and
we'll have to use IPv6.

Since we're not there yet, the best things is to show an intention for
usage and worry about the future a bit later.

:-)

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd at pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager