[MLB-WIRELESS] IP Addressing

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Apr 9 10:41:17 EST 2002

> I fully support this, and would recommend the nice (and so far
> unreserved) range of 10.10.0.0/16 (ie. 10.10.x.x) for drawing
> blocks of
> 16 addesses (/28) for nodes to use for connected subnetworks
> - ie. home
> networks, client wireless nodes that do not support routing
> (e.g. those
> operating on infrastructure mode in a neighbours flat / at a
> Cafe etc.)

I'm with this scheme... :)

> For IP addresses found on the end of wireless interfaces on
> nodes that
> support routing, I would recommend using a different set of
> addresses,
> from the 172.16.0.0/12 network. These nodes would then advertise
> their /32 allocation(s) from the 172.16 subnet as well as
> reachability
> to connected /28s drawn from 10.10 subnet into the OSPF mesh
> (locally)
> and potentially aggregated routes through Internet wormholes
> via eBGP.

Again, this is a good idea...  Don't see too many problems.

> I am thinking that the only way to determine the
> applicability of OSPF
> areas and geographic address allocation (and potentially iBGP) is
> through meshing simulations; the kind of network we all hope for is
> very different to the architectures the now commercial Internet runs
> on. The primary place this kind of thing has been considered
> is within
> the MANET group of the IETF, but they complicated their task by
> presuming that all nodes would likely be mobile and link
> lifetimes low.

Well, I think we can assume most systems will have relatively long link
lifetimes.  The main causes of link failure would be someone turning their
node off, or propagation variations causing dropouts on links with
insufficient fade margin.

We will need to support some roaming nodes - the question is whether there
will be few enough of them to be able to afford the bandwidth "hit" of
tunneling technologies....  In my case, I'll probably be running a tunnel of
some sort much of the time (for security reasons), so that might be a moot
point...

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain