[MLB-WIRELESS] IP Addressing

Roger Venning r.venning at telstra.com
Tue Apr 9 10:27:29 EST 2002

I fully support this, and would recommend the nice (and so far
unreserved) range of 10.10.0.0/16 (ie. 10.10.x.x) for drawing blocks of
16 addesses (/28) for nodes to use for connected subnetworks - ie. home
networks, client wireless nodes that do not support routing (e.g. those
operating on infrastructure mode in a neighbours flat / at a Cafe etc.)

For IP addresses found on the end of wireless interfaces on nodes that
support routing, I would recommend using a different set of addresses,
from the 172.16.0.0/12 network. These nodes would then advertise
their /32 allocation(s) from the 172.16 subnet as well as reachability
to connected /28s drawn from 10.10 subnet into the OSPF mesh (locally)
and potentially aggregated routes through Internet wormholes via eBGP.

I am thinking that the only way to determine the applicability of OSPF
areas and geographic address allocation (and potentially iBGP) is
through meshing simulations; the kind of network we all hope for is
very different to the architectures the now commercial Internet runs
on. The primary place this kind of thing has been considered is within
the MANET group of the IETF, but they complicated their task by
presuming that all nodes would likely be mobile and link lifetimes low.

Roger.