[MLB-WIRELESS] pci adapter (PLX again)

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Thu Apr 4 09:58:24 EST 2002

The $98 Netgear MA301 is a PLX PCI9052 chipset based one by the looks of
it.  As I explained in an earlier post about PLX cards, they are a bodge
but work with wireless cards.

At the moment, if your wireless card is an Intersil Prism2.x based one, get
the latest Linux drivers for it from www.linux-wlan.com and compile the
driver with PLX support.

If your wireless PCMCIA card uses the Orinoco drivers (not just orinoco
cards, quite a lot work with orinoc à  o), go to
http://ozlabs.org/peodgibson/dldwd/orinoco-0.10/ for the latest Linux
Orinoco drivers and build the orinoco_plx driver and you should have no
problems there.

I am working on getting orinoco_plx to work with Cisco PCMCIA cards, as I
have a Belkin PLX PCI9052 based card I picked up from Harvey Norman last
week for $99 and a Cisco Airo-350 I need to get up and running.

The Linux PCMCIA Card Services package supports proper PCMCIA->PCI/ISA
adapters (like x.net sells).  It doesn't support the PLX chipset at all and
never will.  Also, I'd be very careful to not hotplug the wireless cards
into the PLX adapters as the PLX drivers in Linux aren't necessarily
written to support hotplugging.

Windows and PLX is more complicated.  Some of the PCMCIA cards from Belkin
and Netgear come with the respective PLX adapter - as do others.  I can't
speak for mixing and matching particular PLX adapters and other branded
wireless cards as the Windows driver bonaries may only work with certain
fixed combinations (ie all bits from the same manufacturer).

Could someone elaborate on how PLX adapters and various wireless drivers go
in whateverBSD?

jASON