[MLB-WIRELESS] another stupid q, about dhcp

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 3 21:31:59 EST 2002

At 08:59 PM 3/04/2002 +1000, Adrian Close wrote:

>1. Assigning yourself an address and using the network anyway (DHCP is not
>designed as a security tool).  Maybe this could be defeated by having the
>gateway/router only accept traffic from known MAC addresses, but there's
>nothing to stop you...

This involves a little sniffing, but that never put anyone off, especially
on a wireless network! :)

>2. Sniffing the network for a valid MAC address, setting your own MAC
>address to the same value and requesting a DHCP lease.

This would be even easier than #1. :)

>I spent a fair bit of time trying to come up with some kind of trivial but
>reasonably strong means of authenticating known clients using existing
>features in DHCP in creative ways, but haven't found anything good yet.  I
>suspect this is mostly because anything you might use as a "token" to
>prove the client is a known one as far as the server is concerned, can be
>sniffed and reused by a third party (Microsoft, take note).

Yes, there's no true "unique and secure identifier".

>What is needed if you really want to do this is some cryptographically
>good challenge-response thing.  IPSEC strikes me as nicely standardised
>way of achieving this.  Unfortunately IPSEC configuration can be downright
>tricky and more importantly, support is not ubiquitous.  It is getting
>there, but currently as soon as you venture out of open source land you
>have to pay extra, which most people will be disinclined to do (unless, of
>course, you make it a pre-requisite for connection to your public access
>node, at which point people who want to use your node will become quite
>interested!).

Yeah, the big problem with IPSec are the Win9x boxes floating around, and
NT as well.  Win2k supports it out of the box, as does XP.  And yeah, the
config side is a pain.  I've looked over the FreeS/WAN docs and hmmmm. :)

>Of course, from DoS kind of "hacking" perspective, NOTHING will save you
>from Tony's 2.4GHz noise generator.  ;)

Well, that's the wireless equivalent to cutting the network cable...
:-)  However, when that's all running, you should be able to watch the
pictures if you have an old analogue satellite receiver and a pre-Galaxy
downconverter (older then the normal Galaxy ones).