[MLB-WIRELESS] voice over 802.11 and hiperlan technology

Ben Anderson a_neb at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 03:28:36 EST 2002

I found this (http://www.rysavy.com/Articles/HiperLAN/HiperLAN.htm)
"By contrast, a mobile terminal that conforms to the IEEE 802.11 standards
will communicate when the radio channel becomes available, and it may
experience packet collisions from other terminals. It should be mentioned,
however, that IEEE 802.11 does provide a separate mechanism for synchronous
applications like voice. "

Anyone got any experience with this 'separate mechinism' for synchronous
applications like voice?
Does it provide latency and radio contention control mechnisims other than
those already used for the rest of the data stream?
Are they talking about a hardware feature, or is it software layered?
Is it perhaps a vendor specific extention?
Or perhaps they're just smoking something much better than what I am?

On another note, has anyone played with, or considered using hiperlan
technology?  If not, why not?  Just the fact it has a built in equaliser
should improve performance significantly on the 'wan' style networks we're
building...

Cheers,
Ben.