[MLB-WIRELESS] [BSD] wavelan bridging (fwd)

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Mon Apr 1 10:44:16 EST 2002

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, vortex wrote:

> for ubiquity, i recommend keeping configurations to ibss mode (peer to peer
> mode). at this stage (in terms of the 802.11b standards, or lack of them in
> this respect), there is little advantage to bss mode for open public access
> networks.

Do you have any reasons, other than "ubiquity", for this?  I would have
thought it would be easier for public access users to use a service
provided by an access point (BSS mode).  Easier to find (beacon frames to
scan for) and easier to configure, since BSS mode seems to be the default
setting for most cards/drivers.

Plus, BSS mode provides for lower power consumpution for clients, which is
kind of nice when you're roaming on batteries, as you probably would be
when using a public access node.

On the other hand, peer-to-peer iBSS mode is probably what you want for
inter-node "long-haul" link, since I understand there are problems getting
APs to talk to each other.

In any case, I just forwarded the message about BSD BSS mode support for
interest's sake, not to advocate any particular usage mode...  ;)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201