[MLB-WIRELESS] milestone

Iain iain at minihub.org
Mon Sep 24 16:33:18 EST 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:41, Drew wrote:
> Just hit 100 users on the mailing list, and 129 nodes. woot.
>
> For those who aren't operational, what is the main obstacle? Cost? Time?
> Line of sight? Not knowing where to get parts? Not knowing what to do? Lost
> interest? other?
>
> -D

I am totally at a loss as to which card to buy. I have a lot of experience
with Linux and in particular setting up communications in developing
countries. I have been monitoring a couple of wireless lists for a couple of
months and am still not sure which card will meet my requirements.

What I am after is a card that:

- works in linux
- has a jack for an external antenna.
- is based on a chipset which can do WEP sniffing (PrismII only??)
- is high powered enough to get reasonable distances (100mW ?)
- works in ad-hoc mode under linux.
- 11mbps
- cheap ! :)

anyone got any suggestions??