Addressing, was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues

Joseph Sirucka jsirucka at dodgyware.com
Tue Oct 30 04:38:27 EST 2001

Hi

magrathea at subdimension.com wrote:

> Adrian Close spoke the following:
>
> > need.  APANA have a bunch of address space they're not using.  I'm sure
> > other people have spare bits and pieces and we may even be able to get an
> > allocation from APNIC if we ask nicely.  And of course there's plenty of
> > IPv6 space available...  *ducks*
>
> Yeah, I'm sure someone will "give" us some ipv4 numbers.... a bit pricey
> me thinks. What is the going price for a class C, $15k ?

yeah just checking aupnic.net #@$& there prices in us dollars are unbelievable. Remember AUNIC don't give ips
anymore and telstra who was handed this job keeps it to themselves now for being a customer of theris.

> As for ipv6, I think you can get as many as you want from somewhere at
> melb uni. Joseph? We were talking about that the other day?

Sorry danny I didn't clarrify myself, back in 89 melb uni was handing out ipv4 class c for free. Thats how I
got my two class c's. May lose one since a friend might come back from os and want his one. IPV6 can't be given
for free from some site, last I remeber to be eurpoean. Tried freenet6.net Any clues

> As for the actual nodes and what ppl want to run, who cares. Run what you
> like. Whether it be ipsec, or whatever it makes no difference, you should
> have some sort of public endpoint anyway. Stick a www server on it,
> possibly an ftp server of some such. You run the node, so put whatever you
> want on it. Thats what makes this so cool. :-)

true

> Finally, making 802.11 _the_ standard is ok, but, I dont understand the
> difference. ie:
>
> A <-------> B <---------> C <----------------> D <--------------> E
> DSS modem      802.11        wavelan legacy       packet radio!
>
> Its transparent anyway, as long as there is a way into the network using
> 802.11 then you can use the other links as well. I may be doing this in
> some way anyway. ie: public nodes could be: B or C, D, E. if you already
> have packet radio equipment, you can join! (no i dont, just an example)
> This should broaden the amount of ppl who are able to join.
>
> You may want a vpn between A <--> D. So do it, encrypt it, its your
> equipment do with it what you wish.
>
> ---
> Danny
>
> --