Addressing, was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues

Joseph Sirucka jsirucka at dodgyware.com
Tue Oct 30 03:40:12 EST 2001

Hi

Adrian Close wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
>
> > I believe in the 10.x.x.x since it would give more room to manevour
> > when the network greatly expands and interconnectively starts to
> > happen between cells.
>
> 10.0.0.0/8 is a Class A network in pre-CIDR parlance.  That's a _lot_ of
> addresses.  Still, 172.16.0.0/12 is big too, as is 192.168.0.0/16 (256
> Class C networks of 256 addresses each, or many more if subnetted).

yes but eventaully people may want a few ips to host, etc. ips will be chewed soon enough. May also wish to
allcated blocks to cells for the future expansion also.

> Point being it doesn't really matter which RFC1918 blocks people use, so
> long as they don't overlap with networks people are already connected to
> (which they inevitably will at some point, so we'll end up with horribly
> complex NAT gateways and a bunch of higher level protocols that just plain
> won't work - Quake on the WLAN?  Forget it!).

true

> I strongly recommend people use real, globally routable IPs (am I sounding
> like a broken record yet?).  I have a /23 (two Class C's) of globally
> routable, portable address space (some of which is already in use) from
> which I would be willing to allocate smallish blocks to people with actual
> need.  APANA have a bunch of address space they're not using.  I'm sure
> other people have spare bits and pieces and we may even be able to get an
> allocation from APNIC if we ask nicely.  And of course there's plenty of
> IPv6 space available...  *ducks*

I would agree too adrian, but not everybody has a spare class c address handy, you and I may have a couple
class c each, but how many others on this list. Nice of you to donate some of your ip's. I don't believe apana
would hand any of there ips, and if they loaned them, there is a need the may wish for the back in the future.
I thought AUNIC was out of ips and currently it cost money to have a class C. I know they goe for quite a few
dollars at defunct ips auctions. AUNIC web page just looking states they haven't handed out ips since 1997. May
try APNIC.

Yes IPV6 sounds good. Someone before said freenet6.net. that web page can't be found. Is there another one.

> Adrian Close                    email:  adrian at close.wattle.id.au
> 1 Old Gippsland Rd.             web:    http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
> Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia  mobile: +61 412 385 201
>
> --
> Archive of the Entire mailinst list at:
> http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=LIST&L=melbwireless

Joseph