[MLB-WIRELESS] Backbone thoughts.

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 30 01:19:33 EST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Joseph Sirucka wrote:

> 802.11 gear works. As to a backbone, I think most people will be using
> each other in a criss-cross fashion to connect to each other, so a
> backbone as such won't develop.

Think about how you might get a packet from one node to another across
town.  There will be a backbone, although it might be more adaptive
(routing-wise) than wired folks are used to.

In the meantime we might fill in some of the gaps with direct, wired links
(e.g. modems) or "wormholes" via the wired Internet (it might be slow, but
at least it's a link - we'd still have to be careful about cost on those
links too).  Among other things, I'm currently investigating how the
routing might actually work...

Before we get to that stage, we need more links!

But for now I think I should get some sleep.  :)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201