[MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues <aka: guerilla radio is by ninjas, for ninjas. Worked for global IP's development!>

David Arnold arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au
Mon Oct 29 08:47:57 EST 2001

-->"Steven" == Steven Haigh <netwiz at optushome.com.au> writes:

  Steven> By this, I mean that the traffic passing between nodes not
  Steven> be encrypted as to not let other nodes participate that is
  Steven> within radio range.

  Steven> ie - Joe and Fred have a link, but use encryption so Barney
  Steven> can't join the link...

i'm guessing you're talking about WEP here?  or perhaps IPsec?

if, once we have a reasonable number of able-to-be-interconnected
sites, we move towards having some sites with suitable gear and
location forming a backbone from which local areas are fed, perhaps it
might make sense for the backbone links to be protected from random
connections?

WEP is basically useless as a security mechanism, but it might prevent
accidental interference with infrastructure links?