[MLB-WIRELESS] Dedicated AP hardware vs PC + card

Victor Rajewski vik at yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
Sun Oct 28 21:27:28 EST 2001

> Price is not really an issue, but as my node will be the centre of a star
> topography type wireless LAN, the thing will have to be running 24/7 and be
> reliable so Im thinking that a  wireless router would be better than a PC (Less
> muckin around with installing and maintain linux/windoze software, less sadness
> when lighting strikes cooks what's on the end of the wire). I must admit Im
> tempted to buy a wireless router for the 'toy' value alone.

there are several tiny linux distros whose sole purpose is routing... As
such maintenance is virtually non-existant. I had coyote linux running 4 a
bit (its a single-floppy distribution of linux) with nothing to maintain
after the initial menu=based configuration. The only issue here is kernel
support for wireless network card, but this is modular, so in the worst
case ud have to compile or find kernel modules it. Check out the linux
router project.

vik

vik at progsoc.org
<http://www.progsoc.org/~vik>