[MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues <aka: guerilla radio is by ninjas, for ninjas. Worked for global IP's development!>

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Sun Oct 28 14:52:22 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, David Arnold wrote:

> i'd actually prefer to use IPv6 and try to get a real allocation
> rather than NATing all over the place, but the last time i suggested

Amen, brother.  I can trivially get us a 6Bone allocation of at least a
/48, as I mentioned.

> i also wonder about using the geographical location attributes to
> support automated support for mobile handover, etc.  see

Interesting idea...  I'm experimenting with IP Mobility at the moment,
given that I have a notebook, wireless at work and wireless at home.  I'll
let you know how I get on.

> there's a bunch of potential infrastructure that could be useful.
> links and routing are the basic level, DNS probably next.

Yup.  Let's get the packets moving first.  DNS can be layered on top of
that fairly easily.

> as the backbone nodes start to have more than one interface, we're
> going to need a dynamic routing protocol.  anyone had any thoughts in
> this direction?

RSPF?  Probably not necessary since we shouldn't have problems with nodes
able to hear another node but not transmit to it, unlike AX.25 packet
radio.

I lean somewhat towards using a BGP over an IGP (e.g. OSPF), since nodes
are probably more independent than you'd want for an IGP.  However, there
are only 65536 BGP AS numbers available, and we're unlikely to get one
each assigned by APNIC!  This might be one spot where using private
numbers (AS numbers, that is) is a good idea, although there's only a
smallish range of those too...

Mind you, I'm not a dynamic routing expert and I'd be very interested to
hear from other people more experienced in this area... :)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba