[MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues <aka: guerilla radio is by ninjas, for ninjas. Worked for global IP's development!>

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Sun Oct 28 14:28:59 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Ben Ryan wrote:

> only, full axs and none. Build a boundary before walling between
> flats, and keep it that way until the flats get a few bad neighbours.
> Then worry about it.

Analogies are useful but can lead you astray.  In network-land, adding
security to an existing setup can be very difficult.  Better to build it
in from the start, if possible.

> > then how is this supposed to be addressed. Be our own little cell till
> > the cells interconnect and work out problems then or sort out the niggly
> > bits now peice by peice, or rebuild a network as we attach ourselves. I

All of the above, I suspect.  To a certain degree it doesn't matter and in
any case, experimentation is a big part of whole idea.  We don't know how
this thing is going to work and designing the whole in a vacuum is pretty
hard.  So I think the best way is to do it and gain practical experience.

> > So flame me, but these issues need to be address if for it future and
> > expansion.

My $0.02: Flaming is typically unproductive.  Reasoned and knowledgeable
discussion is what we need.

> Infrastructure issues need to be defined before they can be addressed.
> I don't think a list is the best place to collaborate on development;
> there's a board up, and threads are the only way to manage dev
> discussions... [Steve??]

Mailing lists and web boards can be one and the same.  Mailers can thread
messages automatically.  Not everyone has the time or inclination to use
one or the other of mailing lists and web boards, so let's have both the
same.

For more immediate development, I notice a lot of development groups use
IRC or similar.  Tony's already suggested #melbwireless on chatnet.org.

users@ or whatever.  I don't think we're there yet.  :)

> *DNS - internal DNS hierachy to bring some workable order and
> structure to the chaos

Let's not make it a private DNS space/server network, though.  Use and
build on existing infrastructure.

> *Information and resource collection - Some sort of central collection
> of info; sorta like melbwireless.dyndns.org website, with their info

This could be very useful.  Why wouldn't it be one and the same with the
melbwireless.dyndns.org site?

Something I think would be a great use of the network is a bunch of
software mirrors for popular stuff.  There's no reason why individual
nodes could run up whatever they felt like, mind (while staying within the
law, mind).

Man, but I'm fired up today!

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba