[MLB-WIRELESS] bandwidth issues for the future/internet acces s

Victor Rajewski vik at yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
Sat Oct 27 14:23:53 EST 2001

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:39:40PM +1000, Barry Park wrote:
> > My understanding is that:
> >
> > (i) Unless you have express consent from your ISP, feeding your Internet
> > service into an open wireless connection will be against both the ISP's
> > business model and possibly even the law.
>
> I don't know of any law that prohibits you from letting your neighbour use
> your internet connection. This isn't Napster. Not everything fun is illegal.

AFAIK, it _is_ illegal to run a piece of coax from ur computer over the
fence to ur neighbours computer. I wouldn't think this would apply to
wireless, but who knows what those lawyers can come up with...

Might be worth approaching the powers-that-be to maybe get something like
this going as a public service; hell, they want to put optical-fibre to
the kerbside in tasmania, and everyones talking about hooking the country
to the net, this might be a worthwhile proposal. Then again, the telcos
who fund the political parties wouldn't like it....

vik

vik at progsoc.org
<http://www.progsoc.org/~vik>
PGP: <http://www.progsoc.org/~vik/pgp.txt>

Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant
intelligence.
		-- Henrik Tikkanen