[MLB-WIRELESS] bandwidth issues for the future/internet access

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Thu Oct 25 14:19:38 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Victor Rajewski wrote:

> Just been thinking about the possibility of connecting the network to the
> internet (whether or not that is legally possible), and am wondering if in
> fact it is a good idea. Given the bandwidth of wavelan, it seems to me
> that as soon as a couple of hundred ppl are using it, it might slow down
> to a snails pace, depending on how many nodes one has to hop thru and how
> many connections to the outside world there are... if a substantial number
> of `leechers' get onto it then there may b problems.

Absolutely.  Actually, I think one of the reasons for building the network
is to work out how to solve these problems.  No-one has done this before
(at least not what I'm thinking of and that is a city-wide and
beyond, somewhat meshed and rather chaotic network) as far as I know.

The answers are almost certainly interestesting and besides, getting them
should be a whole lot of fun.  :)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba