[MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie Questions

ABBENHUYS, Ryan rabbenhuys at mfbb.vic.gov.au
Wed Oct 24 09:35:06 EST 2001

Greetings peoples,

Quite a few years back I'd been investigating the use of radio modems to
link myself and a mate about 200-250 metres away. At the time it would have
been quite pricey so I dropped that idea.  However.....after reading the
article in The Age yesterday and doing a bit of reading on the melbwireless
website I've since discovered it's much cheaper, easier and fun to create a
link like this nowadays.

Okay, now I need some starters tips...
My friends house is I'm guessing between 200-250 away, and from his second
storey he has a pretty good view of the roof of my house....in fact he has
an excellent view over a lot of Wantirna, Wantirna South, Knoxfield,
Scoresby and even out towards Ferntree Gully and the Dandenongs.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good type of card for us to start off
with.  We'd both only like to spend maybe $350 tops considering we're just
starting out.
Also would we need to use an external antenae with us being so close?
Future plans may involve setting up an access point at his place seeings he
has such a good view of surrounding suburbs.

I've added myself to the interested nodes as node BGF.

thanks in advance!

WARNING
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent of the Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board.