[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Wireless Cards + 32 dB parabolic

lrich at ruralnet.net.au lrich at ruralnet.net.au
Tue Oct 23 16:20:30 EST 2001

Im looking at doing this to get a "consistant" link over about 14 KM.  Yeah I
know a bit of overkill, but unless the ABA inspector notices his burrito getting
hotter when he stands in front of it (not bloody likely, up a 40 m tower) then I
think it'll stay out of anyones way.  The dish is a gridpak commercially
available on most wlan suppliers site.  I think its about 1m or so in diam.
Like the Hills 24db but round.  Im actually looking at using a solid spun
Andrews satellite dish(1 or 1.2 m), if I can get the thing mounted ans withstand
the wind loading.  Ill have to get out the dish calcuator to see what sort of
gain but it shouldnt be much more than the 32 you get with a 1m gridpak.  Should
be less than 2db loss with the cable.  Gotta go from mmcx on the card to a
n,another n to join that straight into the dipole with 3/4 heliax, about 50 cm
long.