[MLB-WIRELESS] hello

Donny Yap dyap at comunica.com.au
Thu Oct 11 01:53:28 EST 2001

> > Its not 11mb/s ....  its 11mbit which is 1.2mb/s ....  if it was
> > 11mb/s that
> > would be so cool...  =)
>
> Hmm.. is 1.2mb/s the layer3 rate?
>
> What does 10mb/s ethernet layer 3 data rate work out to be?  (ie. is there
> more overhead with wireless lan?)

I read Craig's post wrong, but I'm still curious how all the technologies
compare in terms of Layer 3 data rates.  CSMA/CA and the inclusion of other
data link layer overhead such as a frame CRC imply that 11mb/s wireless !=
11mb/s wired (in terms of application data transferred).  Does anyone have a
comparison of layer 3 rates for 802.11a, 802.11b, Ethernet and Fast
Ethernet?

I'm particularly interested in whether 11a is more efficient or not.

Regards,
Donny