[MLB-WIRELESS] A note from the founder.

Steven Haigh netwiz at optushome.com.au
Tue Oct 9 22:50:15 EST 2001

first of all, I'd like to end this topic with this post - mainly because I
believe that this list is best related to wireless discussion... I'd rather
the server be loaded with wireless related mail - and I'm sure most of our
subscriber base will agree that we've heard more than enough on this subject
from all other types of media, without it being pushed through here as
well...

but on the note of trying to threaten established order - we must remember
that telstra is a company... just like every other company out there -
including the bus companies.. I'm not threatening the order if I decide to
walk or ride a bike to get where I want instead of catching a bus - it's my
choice.

I don't believe my philosophical reasons for starting this group was to take
away from companies, but to give individuals a medium to choose to be part
of something that will benefit the entire community by being able to tailor
services to the community better than any commercial company can possibly
hope for. That is where we can come into a league of our own by offering the
services that we may take for granted to the community as a whole.

I've been taking a bit of a back seat to what's been happening the past
month or so and been concentrating on the services provided on this server,
the list, and trying to get some contacts in the right places to help
improve Melbourne: Digital and Wireless's services to benefit us all. I have
managed to get my foot in the door with some rather helpful companies, and
am hoping to get sponsorship with a few in either discounted equipment, or
even just advice and their time in planning etc.

Thanks for helping to make Melbourne: Digital and Wireless a huge success,
last month we had over 2000 unique visitors to our site, and we are already
over 1000 unique visitors so far this month. This equates into around 1Gb of
web content served each month - and it's growing at about 25% per month.

Signed,
Steven Haigh

Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down the T1,
over the leased line, off the (wireless? ;) bridge, nothing but Net.

The net will not be what we demand, but what we make it. Build it well.