[MLB-WIRELESS] News Server

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Fri Nov 23 09:53:18 EST 2001

<quote>
I don't think a news server is such a good idea unless someone has
vast amounts of stuff to put up, but then we'd be better off with a
threaded discussion area running off a webserver.
</quote>

Isn't that what the discussion board on melbwireless.dyndns.org is for?

I think the most traffic that that board currently sees is about 5 posts a
week!

Lucas

                    nedkelly at leary
                    .csoft.net            To:     melbwireless at melbwireless.dyndns.org
                                          cc:
                    23/11/2001            Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] News Server
                    12:14 AM
                    Please respond
                    melbwireless

> I did think of this a while back, but abandoned the idea as I thought
that
> there would be tooo many channels for conversation... there's already a
BBS
> style thing that was active before the mailing list, but it remained
hardly
> untouched... the mailing list was much more successful and favoured by
the
> majority...

yeah, and it wasn't that long ago that there was no activity on this list
for
ages, and now someone complains about the number of messages? aargh!

You just can't win.

I don't think a news server is such a good idea unless someone has
vast amounts of stuff to put up, but then we'd be better off with a
threaded discussion area running off a webserver.

News is okay for broadcast but this is a small, locally focussed group,
I think a webserver people can post on would be a good idea.

I'm not fussed by the chatty messages on this board, btw,
this list never struck me as a serious business-only list,
it'd be deathly dull if it were. I know how to use the 'd' key.

Actually, what would be the advantage of a news server over what
we have available now? I can't think of any.

Dwayne

Archive at: