[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS, DHCP, static ip... How about this?

darrend at natwide.com.au darrend at natwide.com.au
Mon Nov 19 14:49:06 EST 2001

well, here's my thoughts

If we stick with a class A 10.x.x.x network, this would allow for around
65000 class c networks within that range.
I'll assume the eventual topology of this network will be many AP nodes
connected by point to point links, so why not do this -
- Allocate a class C network (254 addresses) to each AP node.
- The admin for each AP should be responsible for allocating ips within
this (using dchp etc) including routing to smaller subnets (ie home LAN's)
- Allocate 1 class B network for allocating ip's to interconnecting routers
etc eg 172.16.x.x

Obviously these allocations will have to be managed by someone, but using
this method will negate the need for RIP etc, as this can work using static
routes. The other benefit is, when someone screws up their routing tables,
it wont propagate beyond their AP (as is possible with RIP). The only
exceptions will be when an access point has 2 or more PTP connections to
other AP's,  which in this case may require the use of RIP and/or BGP
protocols.

As far as naming conventions for DNS goes, a simple subdomain for each
class C network would suffice.

Eg. lets say the following network is for an AP in Camberwell and has been
allocated the class C address space 10.1.12.0

Network Address 10.1.12.0     camberwell.melbwireless.org
Router Address 10.1.12.1 gw.camberwell.melbwireless.org      (def gw for
nodes within this network)
Router Address 172.16.1.12    camberwell.router.melbwireless.org  (router
for PTP link to next node)
Host 10.1.12.25               dhcp-25.camberwell.melbwireless.org

Again with this method, the DNS can be managed centrally or by the AP
admins.

Any comments??

Darren Dreis
IT Manager
Nationwide Digital Products P/L
Tel 03 9548 9444  Fax 03 9548 9040

                    "Steven Haigh"
                    <netwiz at optusho        To:     <melbwireless at melbwireless.dyndns.org>
                    me.com.au>             cc:
                                           Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] DNS, DHCP, static
                    19/11/2001             ip...
                    11:25 AM
                    Please respond
                    to melbwireless

it gets a bit hard to allocate IP's at the moment... mainly due to routing
concerns... how do we route effectively on such an ad-hoc network? some
people have mentioned using RIP or similar to automate routing propagation
-
something to which I am not familiar with - so I can't comment on..

Anyone have any suggestions? comments? routing systems? something to give
us
a bit of headway into this 'monster'?

Signed,
Steven Haigh

Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down the T1,
over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.

The net will not be what we demand, but what we make it. Build it well.