[MLB-WIRELESS] There is a *massive* radio transmitter on my roof - any chances?

LongHAUL mhall at moonbus.net
Mon Nov 19 12:57:31 EST 2001

Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbour today and he was on his roof doing some work
yesterday - he asked me what the massive antenna was on the roof - I said,
dunno, lets have a look - and what do we have - the radio transmitter tower
from the radio station that used to broadcast from my warehouse.

I'll take a few pictures and upload them when I can find my camera power
pack.

Okay - I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any chance at all that I can use the existing radio transmitter
for wireless stuff (not hopeful on this one)

2) The 'tower' that the transmitter is on is *very* high, but not human
climb up load bearing type. It is about 15cm across at the top, 1 metre at
the bottom, 20m(?) high, and has ~8 guy wires down to the roof. How the hell
am I going to get to the top and attach an aerial? (cherry picker?
helicopter? :)

3) I live on Johnston street in Fitzroy (Haven't added my node yet, can't
access the locfinder through a modem... - I used to live at ACE -
Moonbus.net, but moved a few months ago) and I am willing to set up an AP
for the surrounding 'burbs.
Is there anyone around Fitzroy who is on the way to getting an AP setup
going, and if so, do you want to stick it on my radio tower for maximum
benefit to all?

Cheers

Micheal Hall
ebase3 Interactive