[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11 and 802.11b

Matthew Boyd Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 19:17:03 EST 2001

Okay, hows this for a scenario,
I set up an 802.11b access point in my building, most people there
would probably not see the point of spending 300ish on an 802.11b card,
however.. $70 for a 802.11 would probably be something that a few
people wouldn't mind trying, cheap entry to the wireless world and
still pretty fast.

Assuming that the access point could communicate with the 2mbit(802.11)
cards, is it then forced to use 802.11 for all conections? or, can it
operate in both modes at the same time. Would the 2mbit cards spread
the load across the full 11mbit range of the access point or would it
flood a particular section of it? I'm thinking probably more the
latter. Also, would the ping times be acceptable for gaming with say 5-
10 people all using 802.11 withing say 100m of each other?

I'm thinking about the sort of services I might provide through my AP,
or even if its worth running as an AP, I'm initially thinking (in the
neighbourhood) of running a game and file server (quake, etc) and if I
can ever get cheap net bandwidth, then a mail server.

Anyone have any idea which cards are DS/FH?

Matt