[MLB-WIRELESS] What do people want to do with the wireless connection?

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Nov 12 13:06:18 EST 2001

>that's the general idea... bridged - not quite - hopefully it will be routed
>to try and cut down on "useless" traffic...

Indeed.  What would be nice is if the nodes talked to each other
automatically and configured routes based on who they can detect and get
information from other nodes on what their routes are.  Secondly, power
tests would be conducted automatically too so that the transmit power is
set to a level that is necessary to talk to the next hop, thereby reducing
the overall noise floor.  The latter is a bit fanciful, but the former
would be workable.  Like I said, the RIPv2 protocol can help with this,
methinks.  If lots of people get this up and running, combined with the
noise from other private business wireless LANs and Bluetooth and dodgy
microwave ovens, this whole neighborhood wireless caper may end up being
less than reliable.  My main concern is that people will be expecting wired
LAN type performance (a la 10Mbit).  Congestion will also be of concern,
especially if en masse DivX transfers start to interfere with low latency
required gaming packets.

I just hope a lot of punters don't have too high a watermark set for the
performance of their Wireless LAN.

jASON