[MLB-WIRELESS] Councils (Yarra Ranges)

Joseph Sirucka jsirucka at dodgyware.com
Fri Nov 9 06:28:02 EST 2001

Nick

Nick Sibbing wrote:

>Joseph Sirucka wrote:
>
>Yarra ranges is really not interested funding IT since it would
>have to be publically accessable
>
>>for all (an issue with bandwidth sharing and a license then as a carrier).  As for putting access points on high structures that are council property or in their control
>>(influence), they will gladly help you, in that area.
>>
>>A few friends and I in the yarra ranges are trying to setup access points we seem to have a very receptive response from the shire. They won't provide any  funding, and we haven't seen  requirements to be provided before a access point are allowed on any structures, e.g. insurance to cover the
>>access point if it does something wrong to others or property. Also letter saying the 2.4 spectrum is free to  You are playing with a government. They wish for all angles covered.
>>

>Gday Joseph
>these are all excellent points that you raise and I agree. We'll
>need a council friendly approach to address their concerns.
>
>I just want to let you and any one else interested in Yarra
>Ranges council know of my contacts up to date. I spoke to
>Elizabeth Jennings (among quite a few others) initially and she
>went awy read the Age article and called me back. She seems
>quite keen to help in whatever way she can she is also involved
>with other shire networking projects such as community telcos
>and public access internet facilities. She also mentioned it to
>someone in the IT dept at the Lilydale Swinburne campus and
>recieved a positive response.

hmm somebody who knows/cares.

>She put me in touch with Andrew Lacey in the Shire  mapping dept
>for help with contour maps etc. I haven't contacted him yet
>because i'd like to ensure this is a coordinated effort from all
>of us interested. I figure I'm just a private citizen here (and
>not a very technical one at that) If we coordinate our efforts
>it will save a lot of duplication and make best use of the
>council goodwill

Cool contour maps. Thought there was going to be some work, starting
doing some myself, but better if someone already has them mapped out.
Though of going gis and plotting in 3 demension to see if line of sight
was possible. Had some open source from another project that allowed me
to hook up my gps unit. Wouldn't be web based, but had other serious
uses other than wireless.

>As well as yourself and friends Joseph, I know of Cor Lefel
>(kermit) in Mooroolbark and Adrian Close in Lilydale who are
>interested and I wonder if we could get together with any one
>else who is interested locally and have a chat get a modest
>wishlist and then perhaps visit the shire.
>
>Just as a stating point perhaps next Thursday afternoon say 3.30
>in Lilydale?

Cool were, since I work nights. Friends work during days, so I gather
they more likely be a no show. unless your planning a weekend or weeknight.

So where

>Feel free to contact me off list but i posted this if anyone
>else locally is interested I'd be keen to hear from them

Thought I keep this on the list for the moment since others will
probably be interested.

Joseph