[MLB-WIRELESS] A bit disappointed

Drew drew at no6.com
Thu Nov 8 18:33:55 EST 2001

David Maslen wrote:

>After reading "A Wireless Neighborhood Freenet"[1], by Moshe Bar, I was
>thrilled to find that people were trying to establish a wireless
>community net right here in Melbourne.
>
>So I checked out the node map, registered myself, and wrote to three
>or four of the closest nodes.

with line of sight and some height, you can go 30+ kilometers with the
right antenna. maybe you should check those in the direction you *do*
have line of sight to, even if it is much farther.

>What else can I do?

provide wireless access to something you do have LOS to... (park, coffee
shop, apartment block...)

>Surely there must be others around South Yarra wanting to participate.
>Should I stick posters on lamp posts like Moshe did?

sure

>Should I door knock my neighbours and every house I can see from my
>front window?

little too overboard for me personally