[MLB-WIRELESS] Suggestion

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Mon Nov 5 14:50:07 EST 2001

Nice idea, but what's the incentive? It once was my ambition to start
building up old, redundant box3n as primarily Optus at Home and BigPond
friendly firewalls and then selling them at swap meets for *ahem* profit.
The only problem with this idea is that you're selling something to someone
who does not, and most likely will never, know what it does. If it falls
over for any reason, it's useless to them. They won't know how to
troubleshoot it, let alone what could be wrong with it. They're not going to
tweak it, so it won't improve over time. As an indication, I gave my father
a test box and he didn't even bother to surf the logs as he thought the
firewall didn't need maintenance.
More trouble than it's worth, IMHO. Better to give an exponential surge to
the learning curve and build your own.
- Barry

BTW, if anyone wants to build old box3n up as firewalls and flog them off at
swap meets, go for it.