[MLB-WIRELESS] "Heres the plan"

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Nov 1 11:40:24 EST 2001

> since the rg1k is a bridge, you can consider the wireless link like an
> ethernet.
>
> your linux box will need a static default route via the cisco card,
> and a network route for your home network via the wired ether card
> (i'm assuming you're gaming, etc, via a LAN).
>
> his linux box will need several routes: one for your network, via your
> linux box's cisco card's IP.  one for the wireless network, via his
> cisco card.  one for his LAN via his wired ether.  and a default route
> via the PPPoE ADSL link.
>
> so you'll need to pick 3 address ranges (your local, his local,
> wireless) and number interfaces accordingly.

This should work.  it's very similar to some VPNs I've setup, the only
difference being that there's a real wireless link, instead of a VPN between
two otherwise disconnected networks - but the routing is the same.

>   Luke> Having the 1000 in the middle stops me from using its nat to
>   Luke> hide multiple ip addresses from tel$tra, so can I use another
>   Luke> linux box to do that?  Will nat achieve what I want?
>
> his linux box can do masquerading NAT on the PPPoE link.

Yep, the IP masquerade needs to be done where the ADSL connection is, and
Linux running PPPoE will fit the bill there. :)