[MLB-WIRELESS] Source of info online for microwave design (esp. antennas) - Guarded secret?

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Sun Dec 30 15:02:43 EST 2001

Can't seem to find any good sources of info on the theory behind microwave
design - I am doing some stupid things with the local wireless broadband gear to
convert them to 2.4g (just by swapping the LNB for a modified version - don't
ask). It looks like things get strange at these freq's:

I pulled apart a 18dB parabolic and a 26(28?)dB para from Pacific Satellite, and
their element is just plain weird.
It has two brass dipole elements (shaped like the old Telecom logo), but they're
both soldered to the braid and the centre conductor is then connected to one of
them at the top of the T.

Obviously I don't understand why this works, and I probably need to know before
I get all my mates worked up about putting up a wlan mesh here in Bendigo
(Anyone here from Bendigo??? We got three nodes so far..:))

Could someone point me towards somewhere I can dig into to find out how the 2.4
EM behaves? Heavy tech is no probs. Just 144mhz+ is new ground ATM :)

cheers, and remember, ziggy hates you and your wlan :)

ben

Ben Ryan
Network Engineer
Lansys Technologies