[MLB-WIRELESS] Guidance wanted

Michael Korolew admin at gridlocked.net
Tue Dec 18 17:42:14 EST 2001

Drew Whittle wrote:

>On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 11:34, lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:
>
>>Doesn't Dunedin have the world steepest legal road in the world? (I though
>>I read about some guy flying down that road in a wheelie bin!!!! like in
>>the lemon solo ad!)
>>

>Yup, there were two of them in the wheelie bin, one died...

heheh...damn..

>>Anyway, there are a few things you'd have to look at if you are setting up
>>a larger network like this. One of the main ones would be the expense of
>>setting it all up. dedicated AP's from card makers might
>>seem like a good choice but if you could get potential members to donate
>>hardware/knowledge to be used for the linux boxes for the initial AP's
>>until you get the network going proper.

Best option is a couple cards with antenna jacks, the compaq wl200 or
sohoware cards both come with jacks and are supported in Linux, alot of
other cards you'll have to hack on ext ants.  You can pick some compaqs
wl200 up of ebay fairly cheap and then chuck them in your linux AP and
hook it up a grid antenna.

Later Dataking