[MLB-WIRELESS] Guidance wanted

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Tue Dec 18 09:34:31 EST 2001

Drew,
     I was in Dunedin last year and from what I remember it was quite hilly
as you say so you'd need to scout out quite a few areas that you'd need to
setup AP's from. But the city part shouldn't be that hard given that you
can find people to host AP's.

Doesn't Dunedin have the world steepest legal road in the world? (I though
I read about some guy flying down that road in a wheelie bin!!!! like in
the lemon solo ad!)

Anyway, there are a few things you'd have to look at if you are setting up
a larger network like this. One of the main ones would be the expense of
setting it all up. dedicated AP's from card makers might
seem like a good choice but if you could get potential members to donate
hardware/knowledge to be used for the linux boxes for the initial AP's
until you get the network going proper.

Lucas