[MLB-WIRELESS] woteva was: unsubscribe melbwireless

Connections Consulting connex at coco.net.au
Tue Aug 28 15:37:50 EST 2001

:) Dan I'm sort of with u on this one, But...No need to flame...  We can
setup a community access system WITH security.  Each group can setup a
VPN if necessary with gateways between each party OR just one big VPN,
it really does not matter, we can secure the network. Now as for
wireless sniffers etc... Maybee encrypted transmissions ???, maybee all
connected parties need to be behind a fireall of their own, so that the
backbone of the wireless network looks like one big INTRANET and each
access point (behind a firewall) will NAT Intranet Address to Internal
customer network (or home i.e. private) address.

i.e.  Wireless "backbone" ip range 10.0.x.y
Home user at firewall DHCP 10.0.x.y
After firewall into local home network 192.168.x.y

You can subnet into may groups on the backbone if necessary.  Players in
online games can MAP ip's to ports and effectively have a "virtual
route" to the other players box.  SO security ??, no real issue if all
connected parties adhere to a common standard...

You can get heaps of firewalls for little or no cost (I use 602 proxy
and wingate, but you can use winroute or even linux with ipchains) and
most of them work fine.

At this stage it then starts to resemble a "commercial" application, BUT
if all who connect understand that it is for THEIR benefit that a
standard must be followed, I don't think it will be of issue.

Now for paying for OPTUS/TELSTRA (I'd rather not), so keep the "air
free" and the links to commercial organisations, well they would still
have to be commercial, but as I have said in some of my previous posts,
if this is a community based effort serving the community needs, then we
may find a "sponser" for free bandwidth ?? Im working on that...

Ciao (and Phew !)

Frank