[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: random stuff... was: hardware database online

Matthew Vella mvella at flexsoft.com.au
Mon Aug 27 17:00:29 EST 2001

I think that Java, as you say, when used for putting "smarts" into webpages
has been a bit of a flop as well as a security and standards nightmare.

Forget about applets on webpages and write applications instead.

When full applications are written, and then deployed using Java Web Start
(http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/index.html ) you end up with a
very nice single-click install, cross-platform GUI (or text) app development
environment that doesn't have a rival (ok Korg, show us the SQL support in
sdl!).

As an application development platform, I am sold.  There is so much stuff
out there, and the "compile once, run anywhere" paradigm really does work
(we have 17 different platforms here that we use for testing our Java
Applications - the code only has to be compiled once, and it runs
everywhere, even looking like a native app under the various GUIs).

But choosing a programming language always was a very personal thing :-)

Matt.