[kernel-xen] blkio and memory cgroups

Glenn Enright glenn at rimuhosting.com
Sat Sep 6 14:40:32 EST 2014

Hi all

Is anyone using cgroups with the 4.2 or 4.4 series to manage VM disk io?
I've been playing with it recently but I'm still wading through the
documentation since I've not been able to find any 'recipies' around
(appreciate any any quality links people have)

I see libvirt (kvm?) has tried to wrap some automation around this
already http://libvirt.org/cgroups.html

I did also see discussion about blkio being better when combined with
the memory subsystem to constrain how that affected domO stability (eg
more protection against memory leaks). But I don't see that available in
the current kernel.

[root at host651 ~]# lssubsys -am
cpuset
cpu
cpuacct
devices
freezer
net_cls
blkio
perf_event

]# zgrep MEMCG /boot/config-3.14.16-1.el6xen.x86_64
# CONFIG_MEMCG is not set

Steven any thoughts on turning that on in your next build? I think it
should get MEMCG=y and MEMCG_SWAP=y if yes.

ref https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cgroups/memory.txt

Regards, Glenn
http://rimuhosting.com
See more on our other services at http://ri.mu