[kernel-xen] xen-pciback in 3.9.x

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun May 12 21:45:18 EST 2013

On 12/05/2013 8:55 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 05/12/2013 11:49 AM, povder wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps, but it has been a module in at least the last 3-4 releases
>>> (since I
>>> started using it).
>>>
>>> My point is that the chances are that the problem you are having
>>> should be
>>> fixable without changing the kernel build configuration.
>>>

>> I have no doubt that the problem is fixable without changing kernel
>> build config. If I have official information that change in kernel
>> config was intentional or that xen-pciback will stay built as a module
>> in future releases I'll try to fix the problem. Now I think that
>> trying to fix it is pointless as config may change in future release
>> back to built in.
>
> I guess it's one for Steve to answer, regarding whether there is a
> specific reason for module vs. built-in option.

In a nutshell, this is what the default for the kernel source
configures. It will do it for each version upgrade (don't ask me why,
but make oldconfig will always change this back to a module). This means
I have to manually change the .config file before building every single
time.

> My view is that anything that can be built as a module, should be built
> as a module because it is more flexible.

I believe this is also the best way. It is also more reliable - as it
doesn't rely on many other factors that may change. I believe its a
50/50 as to if this should be changes, or left as the defaults keep
reverting to. That being said, having this as a module seems to make
more sense to me - as if it is built into the kernel a full reboot is
required to change parameters passed to the module. As a module, you can
remove and reinsert the module without a reboot and pass different
arguments.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au