[kernel-xen] kernel-xen-3.8.10-1 & xen-4.2.2-3 released

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sat May 4 19:18:35 EST 2013

On 4/05/2013 7:04 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 05/04/2013 09:56 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> On 4/05/2013 6:47 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>>> It would appear that as of this update, the shutdown sort-of hangs. It
>>> gets stuck while shutting down the VMs indefinitely printing dots, even
>>> though there are no VMs actually running to begin with (or perhaps there
>>> being no VMs to shut down might be the cause of it being stuck in the
>>> loop. Possibly related to parallel shutdowns?
>>
>> Hmmm - it tested ok here... Are you running it in xl or xm mode? Check
>> the output of:
>>      # chkconfig --list xend
>>
>> If it says 3:on, you're using xend, if not, you're using xl.
>
> I'm using xend.
>
>> Does it still do the same if you have a DomU running?
>
> I haven't tried - the only DomU I have on the test box is the one where
> I'm testing VGA passthrough and that is still not working at all (BSODs
> on startup).

Hmm - does it give you any funky output in 'xm list'?

While the dots are being printed, we are waiting for any running DomUs
to shutdown. This lasts for $XENDOMAINS_STOP_MAXWAIT as defined in
/etc/sysconfig/xendomains

This figure should really be enough for all the DomUs to shutdown - as
if it takes longer than this, we forcefully destroy the DomU.

We check for a running DomU by doing:
	xm list | wc -l

We then subtract 2 from that value (1 line for Domain-0, 1 for the
header) and if it doesn't come to 0, then there is still something running.

To figure out what is going on, look at the output of xm list, then xm
list | wc -l and see what it thinks is still running.

After $XENDOMAINS_STOP_MAXWAIT seconds however, it should continue and
not care about the state of anything running by sending a destroy
command, then continuing the Dom0 shutdown. This is in case the destroy
fails, it'll get killed properly when the Dom0 reboots ;)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: https://www.crc.id.au