[kernel-xen] Building a 2.6.32 kernel with Xen

Glenn Enright glenn at rimuhosting.com
Wed Mar 6 11:10:38 EST 2013

On 06/03/13 12:38, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 6/03/2013 10:21 AM, Ellison Marks wrote:
>> Because of organizational reasons, we can't upgrade to the 3.x kernel
>> you're providing. I hope it's not too much to ask, but could you please
>> provide a tutorial on building a Xen enabled kernel for CentOS 6.3, so
>> we could roll our own?
>
> Thats unlucky... 2.6.32 is a bit of a lost cause these days... Jeremy
> used to maintain a xen dom0 kernel source for 2.6.32, but he hadn't
> updated it in many months.
>
> From what I recall, vanilla 2.6.32 does not support half the features
> - and I'm stretching my memory now - but it may not even support
> running out of the box as a Dom0.
>
> The main reason I've moved on to 3.x is the lack of updates / security
> fixes and the lack of patches for 2.6.32. All the development and
> updates are now happening on the 3.x branch.
>
> --
> Steven Haigh
>
> Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
> Web: https://www.crc.id.au
> Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
> Fax: (03) 8338 0299

Ellison in case it help you advocate for one of the newer 3.x releases
the following may help...

* on why Linus changed the numbering
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1147415 Note that the change
is not like the 2.4-2.6 change which included a significant redesign of
lots of core things

"I decided to just bite the bullet, and call the next version 3.0," he
wrote in a thread <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1147415>
on gmane.org. "It will get released close enough to the 20-year mark,
which is excuse enough for me, although honestly, the real reason is
just that I can no longe rcomfortably count as high as 40."

* on stable releases, Greg Kroah-Hartman (of the main kernel
developement team) is long-term supporting a couple 3.x releases that
are being used by various distributions. latest on that at
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/3.8-is_not_longterm_stable.html

Regards, Glenn
http://ri.mu - Startups start here.
Hosting. DNS. Web Programming. Email. Backups. Monitoring.