[kernel-xen] DomU fails to start after power outage

Steven Spencer steven.spencer at kdsi.com
Fri Nov 9 04:14:15 EST 2012

On 11/08/2012 08:39 AM, Steven Spencer wrote:
>> Hi Steven (Great name!),
>>
>> The config files should be (by default) in /etc/xen/ - however there is
>> no requirement for them to be there. It will be the file that determines
>> the configuration of the DomU - ie where the storage lives, etc etc.
>>
>> For example, my template one that lives as /etc/xen/template.vm contains:
>> name = "template.vm"
>> memory = 1024
>> vcpus = 2
>> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/RAID5/template.vm,xvda,w' ]
>> on_poweroff = 'destroy'
>> on_reboot   = 'restart'
>> on_crash    = 'restart'
>> vif = [ "mac=00:16:36:35:35:97,bridge=br0,script=vif-bridge" ]
>> kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/pv-grub-x86_64.gz"
>> extra="(hd0)/boot/grub/grub.conf"
>>

> I don't have anything for the domains (config wise) in /etc/xen They
> appear to be in /var/lib/xend/domains/[hex hash]/config.sxp /etc/xen has
> examples in it, etc.
>
> Here's what I tried, just as a test. In the console of the virtual
> machine, I modified /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
> changed the IP there to something else not in use on my network. When I
> try to bring up the interface with an ifup eth0, I get the following:
>
> Device eth0 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring.
>
> This config was working before I stepped on the power cord (dangit!), so
> just trying to get it back. When you are specifying the vif, do you use
> the mac of the eth0 on the Dom0 or the peth0, or ...
>
> Thanks for the responses!

Steven,

In looking at your template config, I'm wondering if we are simply doing
things wrong here. If so, then we've been doing them wrong for a very
long time. When we create a new domain, we generally use virt-install
with prompts, If we were to use your template system, would this give us
a more reliable way to restore a domain given this situation in the future.

I'm still off-line by the way. Mostly because I'm not sure how to
restore the vif.

Thanks again,
Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957