[kernel-xen] DomU fails to start after power outage

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Nov 9 00:56:04 EST 2012

On 9/11/2012 12:48 AM, Steven Spencer wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 05:07 PM, Glenn Enright wrote:
>>> So we got the machine to boot by tweaking the config file and adding
>>> the location to the disk image, but when the machine booted it came up
>>> without the Ethernet interface, so now we are missing the bridged
>>> interface info.
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated. We were able to move all services to another
>>> machine, so we are not currently down.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Try adding an interface line in the params file? And restarting the VM
>> from the host side (not using the reboot command in the VPS). eg like...
>>
>> vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:c5:98:b3:0a,bridge=br0' ]
>
> Thanks for the reply Glenn. By "params file" do you mean the config.sxp?

Hi Steven (Great name!),

The config files should be (by default) in /etc/xen/ - however there is
no requirement for them to be there. It will be the file that determines
the configuration of the DomU - ie where the storage lives, etc etc.

For example, my template one that lives as /etc/xen/template.vm contains:
name = "template.vm"
memory = 1024
vcpus = 2
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/RAID5/template.vm,xvda,w' ]
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'
vif = [ "mac=00:16:36:35:35:97,bridge=br0,script=vif-bridge" ]
kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/pv-grub-x86_64.gz"
extra="(hd0)/boot/grub/grub.conf"

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au