[MLB-WIRELESS] Joining / Adding Nodes / Building firmware

Andrew van Slageren andrewvsm at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 24 23:18:31 AEDT 2015

Hi there,

The Melbourne Wireless network is not a mesh network in the typical
ad-hoc sense. It's more just a number of interconnected nodes, made up
of either point-to-point links (one ap, one client), or
point-to-multipoint links (one ap, many clients).

As for firmware, that will depend on the hardware used at node you're
connecting to. The majority of nodes are running either Ubiquiti or
Mikrotik AP's, using their propitiatory TDMA protocols (AirMax for
Ubiquiti, NV2 or Nstreme for Mikrotik). Unfortunately that's going to
pretty much rule out any custom firmware, as while OpenWRT will run on
hardware from both manufacturers, you'll lose the propitiatory TDMA smarts.

Regards,
Andrew.