[MLB-WIRELESS] Nano Bridge is looking at ?

coles.david at gmail.com coles.david at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 23:18:04 EST 2012

Hi Ross,

What you're seeing is Node GHO on the top of Mt. Dandenong
<http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/maps/view?id=gho>. It's a node with
one of the best visibility in Melbourne - faces almost due east over
the eastern suburbs. The "58" part means it's running on the 5.8GHz
frequency (there's also a set of 2.4GHz antennas).

Depending on how far you are away you can sometimes even pick up the
wireless beacons from GHO with just a laptop, but to get a full
bidirectional connection you typically need a dedicated antenna (the
Nano Bridge should be perfect).

To conenct to Melbourne Wireless, the rules are generally you pick an
IP address from the range allocated to that interface (see
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/wiki/?NodeGHO ), put your node
details in to "reserve" the IP and then use that as your IP address,
set the router as the corresponding gateway and away you go.

Cheers,
David
Node JQY