No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

been discussed at length in the past, but I'm wondering has there been =
any recent discussion or developments?  I am Node GMR and personally, I =
can navigate quite well just typing 10.10.x.x numbers into my browser.  =
I'm just concerned that not being able to type in human-readable names =
into a browser will make using the network less user-friendly for the =
less-geeky punters.

On a related topic, I run an access point at my node with DHCP.  From =
looking at the leases log I see that I get the occasional visitor =
assocating with my AP.  I'm pretty sure that these visitors are either =
my neighbors' home computers associating by accident, or wardrivers =
looking for Internet and home networks to probe.  I'm thinking that once =
they associate, they probably think they have Internet access.  So when =
they're connected they're going to type something like "www.google.com" =
into their browsers.  And they're going to get a 404 error.

Is there some way to redirect these requests to my local web page at =
10.10.145.45 or any other web page of my choosing?  All these chance =
associations that people are having with my AP are a great chance to =
spread the word about Melbourne Wireless and the network.  But I don't =
think any of them are going to go to the trouble of looking at the =
default gateway that my DHCP gives them and then typing that address =
into their browser.  Instead of a 404 I want them to see a web page that =
explains why they're not seeing Google and tells them what the Melbourne =
Wireless Intranet is.

Cheers,

Dan
------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C3AF77.BB817B60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>From looking through the Wiki it looks =
like DNS for=20
the MW network has been discussed at length in the past, but I'm =
wondering has=20
there been any recent discussion or developments?&nbsp; I am Node GMR =
and=20
personally, I can navigate&nbsp;quite well just typing 10.10.x.x numbers =
into my=20
browser.&nbsp; I'm just concerned that not being able to type in =
human-readable=20
names into a browser will make using the network less user-friendly for =
the=20
less-geeky punters.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>On a related topic, I run an =
access point at=20
my node with DHCP.&nbsp; From looking at the leases log I see that I get =
the=20
occasional visitor assocating with my AP.&nbsp; I'm pretty sure that =
these=20
visitors are either my neighbors' home computers associating by =
accident, or=20
wardrivers looking for Internet and home networks to probe.&nbsp; I'm =
thinking=20
that once they associate, they probably think they have Internet =
access.&nbsp;=20
So when they're connected they're going to type something like =
"</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.google.com"><FONT =
size=3D2>www.google.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2>" into their browsers.&nbsp; And they're going to get a 404=20
error.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there some way to redirect these =
requests to my=20
local web page at 10.10.145.45 or any other web page of my =
choosing?&nbsp; All=20
these chance associations that people are having with my AP are a great =
chance=20
to spread the word about Melbourne Wireless and the network.&nbsp; But I =
don't=20
think any of them are going to go to the trouble of looking at the =
default=20
gateway that my DHCP gives them and then typing that address into their=20
browser.&nbsp; Instead of a 404 I want them to see a&nbsp;web page that=20
explains&nbsp;why they're not seeing Google and tells them what the =
Melbourne=20
Wireless Intranet is.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dan</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C3AF77.BB817B60--